PTA Recap: What did we do this year?
As we close the door on this school year, the PTA's Executive Board believes it is important for our community to know where the PTA invested this year. Volunteer Support
Through countless volunteer hours, KSE PTA members shared their skills and talents with our school. You opened your hearts to our students and staff, and we cannot even begin to list all the positive effects you've had in our school community. It sounds trite but we mean it: we cannot thank you enough for stepping up and chipping in. Without our incredible team of awesome volunteers, the KSE PTA could not have accomplished a fraction of what it did.Financial Support
The Executive Board can, however, provide an accounting of the financial impact the PTA had at King Springs this year. Because our members have been so generous, the KSE PTA was able to meet a wide variety of needs in our community.
As you may recall, our Springer Sprint fundraiser had a goal of raising $30,000 to purchase additional shade structures for the play spaces on our new campus and to help our teachers set up their new classrooms. You blew that goal out of the water and raised $70,000 for our school! Way to go, King Springs community!!
Take a look at the amazing things the PTA was able to accomplish with those funds!We covered our fundraiser expenses:
We met our fundraising goals:
- $800 - glow sticks for the run & ice cream for celebration
- $2,000 - deposit for next year's fun run
We supported our community in the face of challenges nobody ever saw coming:
- $20,000 - will cover the purchase of shade structures for our new campus (plus will move the existing shade structure from K-2 to the new campus)
- $10,000 - each of KSE's 83 classroom teachers will receive $125 toward setting up their new classroom
And, we still have funds in reserve to cover our administrators' wish list:
- $12,000 - COVID-19 support (monetary support for PT staff and food for KSE families in need)
- $3,000 - gifts for the 5th grade class, who missed out on so many special traditions because of construction & COVID closures
- $16,000 - PTA-funded end-of-year appreciation gift for teachers and staff. With so many families under financial strain, and the generosity they already showed throughout the year, our Board believed it would be inappropriate to ask parents to send more money to cover this expense.
- $3,000 - team-building activity, to occur before the 2020-2021 school year begins
In addition to the expenditures listed above, over the course of this school year the PTA's general fund addressed several important, pressing needs in our school:
The End Result
- $17,000 - instructional support materials requested by teachers, including supplies for morning choice & indoor recess, assessment reading packets, and 60 headsets for laptops
- $600 - basketball goals for both campuses (because access to existing outdoor play areas was limited due to construction)
- $4,000 - plastic tubs for packing classrooms
- ..... and all of these are in addition to the $50 stipends each classroom teacher received at the beginning of the year and the $30,000 laptop cart, which were funded through last year's Springer Sprint!
Finally, and most importantly, your generous support of the King Springs PTA allowed us to take important steps toward making our activities and programs accessible to all of our students and families. We offered more scholarships than ever for our Enrichment Clubs, and we reduced the costs we charged for our movie mornings, parent/child events, and other family programs to the bare minimum. Because of your generosity, those events could serve as relationship-building experiences rather than as our PTA's primary fundraisers. We were also able to waive fees for families who requested that support. All of these factors go toward our PTA's ultimate goal of helping every student at King Springs have the best experience possible. THANK YOU!
To all the parents, grandparents, teachers, staff, and other individuals who have supported the King Springs PTA this year and before -- THANK YOU! Your support is what made it possible for the PTA to accomplish all of the things listed here. King Springs Elementary is a special place, and we are grateful for all you do to make it even better.
Camp Listings for School Breaks
Do you need childcare or activities over Break? Many of our PTA sponsors and Enrichment Club vendors offer camps when school is not in session.
Our sponsors & vendors have been sending us flyers with details on their camps. To view the flyers, click the Documents tab, then select Camp Listings.
School Supply Kits
School supply kits are available for purchase now! Order by early July for delivery before school starts. Kits will be delivered to your home. Shipping is a flat rate per order; purchase multiple kits to save on shipping.
As in years past, PTA has arranged these kits as a convenience for parents. It is not designed to be a fundraiser. And you are absolutely free to purchase supplies on your own rather than through these kits.
Thank You, Outgoing PTA Board Members!
We want to recognize some amazing volunteers that served on the PTA Executive Board this year and will not be serving again next year.
Erica Manning, President- Erica has served on the KSE PTA Executive Board for the last five
years, most recently as President. She has shared many talents with our school and and has spent countless hours supporting our teachers and families. From initiating our partnership with Boosterthon to pioneering our staff-wide Gift Fund, Erica has tapped into our community's unique strengths and allowed us to grow in ways we never could have dreamed. Under Erica's leadership, we have provided KSE's students with a wide array of fun and educational opportunities. We are grateful for all the time and energy she has poured into our school.
Liz Li, VP of Communication- Liz has served on the Executive Board for two years. Her contributions and insights are too numerous to count but include organizing Kindergarten events and materials, publishing the weekly PTA enews and corralling and organizing the green monthly calendars. She has always helped keep the board organized and informed of important issues. Liz has been an important advocate for the children of KSE.
Nadine Luke, Treasurer- Nadine served on the Executive Board this past year. She helped manage all PTA financial business as well as lending her voice in PTA communications. She has been a ray of light this school year and will truly be missed.
Melanie Combs, VP Enrichment Clubs- Melanie served on the Executive Board this past year. Melanie organized our many Enrichment programs this past year. Her humor and determination helped keep us going through all the hard work. We look forward to seeing her contributions at Griffin next year!
Placement Letters: Parent Input on Students' Classroom Placement for 2020-21
In years past, KSE administration has invited parents to write a "placement letter" reflecting their requests for their child's classroom assignment. This year, the school has created an online form! Click here
if you'd like to share information about your child's placement for the 2020-21 school year. Please complete a separate form for each child. Forms should be submitted by May 15.