May 24th in MPR
About - Room Parents
Room Parent Responsibilities
The responsibilities of a room parent vary from teacher to teacher and grade to grade. If you are considering becoming a class parent, these are some things a room parent may (but may not) be asked to do:
Please contact Soraya Echeverria for more information email: Lead-RmParent@HolaLasPalmas.org
- Meet with the teacher to discuss the role he or she would like the room parent to play.
- Send home a letter with children in order to collect the names and phone numbers of all the parents in the class. Some schools may provide this information.
- Setup and Post events to a classroom website such as a Shutterfly Share Site (this is optional).
- Recruit other parents to help in the duty of room parents, e.g., organize volunteers “Jog-A-Thon” or maintain an email database. (Finding a co-room parent (one Spanish Speaking Parent can make the job a lot easier!)
- Meet with other room parents and the PTA’s room parent organizer on an occasional basis.
- Attend all or most of the meetings of the school’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) or similar organization.
- Organize class parties and enrichment opportunities. This may include planning, shopping for and hosting the event.
- Email parents to obtain donations of supplies for the classroom and/or events (i.e., boxes of tissues the classroom or snacks for class event).
- Collect donations for and purchase gifts for the teacher for special occasions. These might include holidays (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and/or Teacher Appreciation Day), his or her birthday, the end of the school year and other special events.
- Find volunteers to help in the classroom, if needed (Library, Meet the Masters, Garden Volunteer, and class event).
- Send out reminders—via email, phone or notes that go home with the kids—about upcoming events, meetings, field trips and needs for donations or volunteers.
- Act as a resource by answering questions for parents new to the school or class.
Las Palmas Elementary School
1101 Calle Puente
San Clemente, CA 92672