About - Room Parents
Room Parent Responsibilities
The responsibilities of a room parent vary from teacher to teacher and grade to grade. If you are considering becoming a class parent, these are some things a room parent may (but may not) be asked to do:
Please contact Soraya Echeverria for more information email: Lead-RmParent@HolaLasPalmas.org
- Meet with the teacher to discuss the role he or she would like the room parent to play.
- Send home a letter with children in order to collect the names and phone numbers of all the parents in the class. Some schools may provide this information.
- Setup and Post events to a classroom website such as a Shutterfly Share Site (this is optional).
- Recruit other parents to help in the duty of room parents, e.g., organize volunteers “Jog-A-Thon” or maintain an email database. (Finding a co-room parent (one Spanish Speaking Parent can make the job a lot easier!)
- Meet with other room parents and the PTA’s room parent organizer on an occasional basis.
- Attend all or most of the meetings of the school’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) or similar organization.
- Organize class parties and enrichment opportunities. This may include planning, shopping for and hosting the event.
- Email parents to obtain donations of supplies for the classroom and/or events (i.e., boxes of tissues the classroom or snacks for class event).
- Collect donations for and purchase gifts for the teacher for special occasions. These might include holidays (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and/or Teacher Appreciation Day), his or her birthday, the end of the school year and other special events.
- Find volunteers to help in the classroom, if needed (Library, Meet the Masters, Garden Volunteer, and class event).
- Send out reminders—via email, phone or notes that go home with the kids—about upcoming events, meetings, field trips and needs for donations or volunteers.
- Act as a resource by answering questions for parents new to the school or class.
Las Palmas Elementary School
1101 Calle Puente
San Clemente, CA 92672
Send us your Photos
Sept. 27th in MPR